January 2019.................

<< December 2018. I started extending my workshop. One of the reasons I'm doing this, since buying the Packard Ambulance this time last year I've struggled for space inside my workshop, yes I know, too many vehicles, ? this is why I put the Model A truck up for sale last year, which never sold ! SO, in Novemember I made the decission to extend the workshop.

Having first emptied out the Luton Van body that had the two Speedway Supercars and the Dodgem car inside plus other smaller items, I sold the van body to Dudley Canal & Tunnel Trust so they can use it to store their items, We managed to slide it onto Dave's Bevertail Transit to deliver the Body.

This gave me room to unbolt the 4-post ramp, having welded some heavy duty casters on the bottom, I managed to roll the ramp around the corner where the van body was sited, this is where the ramp will stay, when I get around to fixing it up later in the year.

Having first emptied the Heating Oil Tank I built 4- Concreate pillars 3ft high to put the tank on, then dug out my old Lamppost that's been there for years, this Workshop is made up of Scaffolding poles and steel sheet cladding, so all i need to do is to fill this space in ?

 

So, Having firstly knocked the scalloding tubing into the ground in  3- places I made up the framework, then cutting out the bottom of the steel door frame, I welded that into the Steel tubing making the door fit okay and lock up, then, bringing the steel cladding up to the front to sheet over the tubework .

Having moved the front of the building forward, I started on the side of the Workshop, by removing the old blue sheets and putting them alongside the fence (Left) then started knocking it the legs into the ground plus putting the scaffolding framework to hold it all up, this left my workshop open to the elements.

Next was making up the roof,

Again that was made up using Steel Scaffolding poles to form the framework, some of these poles were 21 ft long and were heavy to lift up there, but I managed it on my own.

Having bolted everything together the next part was the cladding.

 

 

Having Trimmed off the tops of the sheets then fixed and bolted up the sides to the poles I then plumed in the 3/4" steel pipework to feed my oil heater which is situated further down the workshop, the tank will be sealed in after.

 

Having finally had the new 18ft long cladding sheets delivered to me, it took me two days bolting the sheets together to the Scaffolding poles, plus I had some clear plastic sky lights to get light into the workshop.

 

As this ground ALL slopes backwards, The first thing I did was to chizzle out a gap in the front wall of the ground to make up a gully to drain the water away, this it to stop the workshop flooding out in heavy rain.

 

Having Hired in a Concreate Mixer, I started concreating the bottom of the poles in the ground, plus all the edges of the broken slabs, plus all that needed to be concreated.

 

 

 

Next job, was to Concreate a catch tank below (underneath) the oil tank, this is to catch any spillages that might accure ?

Having bought 64 concreate blocks I started cementing them in place hence to seal off the oil tank from the rest of the workshop.

 

This is just in case there in a fire inside, this should protect the tank from any flame, 

 

So it's now 29th December and this is where I'm at at the moment, once I've bricked this wall to the roof I'm not that far from finishing the extension ?

January 3rd 2019........yep it's 2019.....HAPPY NEW YEAR.

Six of us took the Two trip boats "Electra and Richard" down to Dry Dock at Stourbridge for their two year inspection and a re-paint. 

Starting out from Parkhead after a full charge overnight we left at 9am, weather was dry and cold, about Plus 4 deg c today.

We tackled the 25 locks with no problems, the trip boats made it down there under their own power, taking it easy all the way, they both arrived at the Dock for 3pm. 

 

The next day I was back modifying my workshop.

Having finished building the block wal around the oil tank I decided everything needed a coat of white paint, this brightens things up a lot better

Having painted everything I set about moving the shelving racks from one side of the workshop to the other.

This was harder than it sounds, as they had been in place for about 30 years, you can imaging the stuff that was dumped on these shelves ! Hence to say there was plenty of rubbish, after moving the racks, I gave them a coat of white paint before putting the items back on.

Having loaded all the shelving up, I gave the long plain wall a coat of white paint, this is to give me more room to get the vehicles in and out okay. I then Collected the Ford A truck from Simons Workshop where it had been stored for the last  4 months, I had a good shuffle around with my vehicles