I bought this Morris 30 C.W.T. Truck 620 JDH in the spring of 1990 from Billingham and Kite, Bromley Street, Lye, West Midlands. Who were builders merchants.

The Morris was registard at Walsall (JDH) but was sold through the B.M.C./Morris Agents of  Wollaston Garage, Stourbridge.   

The Morris was built at Adderley Park Works, West Bromwich and sold to the first owner, Kennings Ltd of Walsall, West Midlands. Built as a flat bed powered by a 2.2 liter 4 cylinder petrol engine with a 4-speed crash type gearbox.

In 1967 the truck was sold to a self-employed builder called Mr Stanley Hill of Kinver.

In 1970 the Morris truck was sold on to Gould and Dunn Builders Merchants of Stourbridge. by now the Morris was ten years old and for another ten years it had a hard life moving things like scaffolding, bricks, sand etc untill in 1980 it ended up at Billingham and Kite's (Builders Merchants) Yard in Bromley Street, Lye. The engine had dome roughly 150,000 miles, so the Morris had a reconditioned Gold Seal engine fitted. They used it for around five years, but by now the rest of the truck was on it's last leg's, Until it was sold to myself in 1990.

It was spring of 1990 when we finaly bought the truck, after loading it up on our trailer we towed it just around the corner to F.C. Brown's Yard in The Hayes, Lye.

After unloading the truck off the trailer, I found a good battery, and after putting some petol in the tank, I cleaned up the plugs and points, turned the key and with a cloud of smoke the engine came to life.

The Morris was reversed inbetween the two of our warehouse and left outside with a sheet over the body to protect it from the weather. This is where I worked on it, after jacking the truck up to a sencible hight I put the four commercial axle stands on all four corners of the chassis.

The first job was strip the old rotted woodwork off the flat bed so we could look at the chassis. 

After de-rusting the chassis I gave it two coats of Red Oxide undercoat paint.

Then I started looking at the very rotted cab.

After cutting the old rot out I spent month's making new steel sections and welding the new sections into the cab, the two front wings were very dented, I remember spending a month on each front wing just to get them right.

The Engine, Gearbox and rear axle all seemed okay apart from wanting a good clean up and repaint in B.M.C. green. The brakes were ALL shot ! So I sent away for the brake shoes to be re-lind, the brake cylinders were partly sized up, but I managed to free them off okay, All the brake pipes were rotted away, so I replaced them all with new copper pipes and fittings with new fexible hoses.

The king pins wer also replaced because they had worn that badly. Also worn very badly were the spring hanger pins and bushes. So they were replaced with new ones.


The two doors were also stripped down and the rot cut out of the bottom and replaced with new metal. Both the doors were bolted back on, now it's spraying time.

Primer filler (Yellow Custard) was applied in thick coats on the cab to fill in any imperfections and left a week to dry before blocking the whole body down till it was all level, then several coats of grey primer to build it up again. then left another week to dry off before blocking down.  

After spending month's getting the undercoat right it was time to start top coating the cab. Mick Hill kindly volunteered to come over one day to spray the cab in cellilose

paint. The original colour of the truck was blue but I picked the colour Middle Bruswick Green because I liked it. The front and rear wings plus the grill were painted gloss black to give the truck a two-tone effect, after applying 5 coats of top coat.

The paint was left to dry for a few weeks.

Hank Redfern made up and fitted a new wiring loom onto the truck whilst he was doing that I got on with the flat bed woodwork along with help from my Dad (Arthur)


I'm getting very close to finishing now, after spending lot's of time cleaning up parts

and fitting back onto the body. I also spent about a week cutting the paintwork down to give it that well worn look.

Because the truck is the wrong side of the M.O.T. Law it has to have a Class 7 type

M.O.T., It passed this with flying colours. The vehicle is taxed exempt and the insurance is under a classic commercial policy with limited milage.


Dave Perks from "Signs and Symbols", Stourbridge did all the lining out and signwriting.  The interier of the truck was also finished off complete with a new roof lining. The truck took 18 months to restore. It's fist show was a local Carnival in Lye

on August 1991. This was a grand day out and a good test drive, plus the plan was that if it should break down at leased it was only local to tow it back. Well everything went well all day with no problems at all.

During the last 20 years the Morris Commercial has attended many Steam and Canal Boat Rallys around the Country.

One of the longest trip I did was in 2006 a 145 mile drive down to the Great Dorset Fair where the Morris was lined up with 400 other classis commercial vehicles.

In 2009 the Morris WON best Commercial in show at the Bidford-on Avon Steam Rally.


Over the many years I've carried many items on the back of this truck from Stationary engines, to a WW2 floating sea mine, to a half ton 5ft diaminter riverboat

propeller, all to add an added intrest to the truck.

But one thing that did not prepair me for was when I had next, It was a Sunday Morning when a Woman knocked my door, she was standing in the doorway asking me if owned a classic truck ?

Well it turned out that her Husband had recently died and his last wish was that he did not want to go by Hearse, he wanted to go by a classic lorry

...........So his wish was granted.

Since that day I have done three more Funeral's with he Morris, it seem's to be popular thing these day's.

Walter Woods Funeral, September 2011.

Inside the truck is just basic..Four Speed Crash Gearbox...NO Power Steering...NO Servo Brakes..You realy have to DRIVE this truck. Steady cruising speed of 50 mph..... Fuel Consumption of 15 mpg.

Loading boats up with packing crates using the hand crane at the Black Country Living Museum. Wayne Sivions operating the crane. ( Malcolm Ranieri Photo)

2011...The Loading Crew....(Left to right) Dawn Rudge,Dave Shortland, Heidi Yardley, Roger Adams, Graham Howland and Steve Bingham.....BCLM.

2008. I borrowed this Machine off Malcolm Higgins from Lye. It's used to cut out circles for dustbin lids and also the bottom of dustbins as well.

2007. This a WW2 Magnetic Sea Mine which I borrowed off Trevor Smith of Lye. Made of cast Iron. I put a old wind up alarm clock inside it just to make it more realistic !

Morris at Welland Steam Rally, 2011. (Photo by Philip Thorton-Evison)

May 7th 2012. Tug Gathering at BCLM. Just giving the Albion Brewery truck a tow start. Morris was not feeling very well at this stage - engine was misfiring!!

After removing the cylinder head, I found the copper gasket had burnt through bettween cylinders 2 and 3.

After a good clean up and a de-choke of the cylinder head, I faced off both surfaces for a better seal. Fitted a new head gasket and within a few days the truck was back on the road again.

The 2200 cc Engine running okay now.

12th May 2012. After a frantic week to fit a new head gasket to the Morris I won Best Commercial at the Bidford-on-Avon Steam Gathering.

November 2012. Getting the Morris and Supercar ready for the N.E.C. Show. The set up was on Thursday 15th Nov and break down on Monday 19th.

16th/17th/18th November 2012. Ethel gets Invited to the Classic Car Show at the N.E.C.

We WON "BEST SMALL STAND AWARD" for the Morris Commercial Club!! (Not bad for the first time out.)

November 2012. The LC5 Morris Commercial apears in five pages of this months "Heritage Commecials"